While celebrating 25+ years of service, Churches Assisting People or CAP was located in Conway at 206 Main Street after being formed by the Conway Ministerial Association in late 1986. Their objective was to form a ministry that could provide effective assistance to the needy in our local community. In October 1987, the Rev. Greg Prior, then the Rector of St. Paul's Episcopal Church, proposed the formation of a cooperative organization pooling the resources of local churches to assist those in need more efficiently.
From the initial group of seven churches in 1987, CAP has grown to about 33 participating local organizations. CAP has grown, from the early years of serving 1300 people in 1988 to serving over 30,000 in 2009. In 2014 11,903 families received food with a total of 264,294 meals.
We can sometimes help when and where others cannot. It is important to note that most of the local agencies work together and each has its own strengths. We measure our success in the ability to meet client's needs. We are fortunate to have wonderful volunteers who do a great job of collecting, organizing, and packing food. We have time when our pantry is low; however, we have never had to turn anyone away due to a lack of food. Providing food for over one-quarter of a million meals per year takes an enormous amount of team work. We are proud and grateful for being part of the United Way community effort.
The Day of Caring on September 23, 2011, provided CAP with a newly remodeled facility at the Main Street address that improved client service and client privacy tremendously.
This year, in the summer of 2015, CAP has relocated to the former fire house at 307 Wright Blvd. With much help from volunteers in the community, the move is complete. Ask what you can do to help CAP become more settled and able to assist those in need.